History in a Quilt...

A very wise woman once told me that a quilt is the perfect thing for a bed. It keeps you cool in the summer and toasty warm in the winter. I think anyone who sleeps under one can attest to the truth of that. I probably have a fondness for the quilt in all it's forms because of history. A quilt's history is American history. While majoring in History in college I was most interested in material culture...the history of things, possessions...the things that people keep and have kept throughout time. (I just re-read those sentences...forgive the overuse of the word "history")
Quilts are beautiful and utilitarian...they tell the story of who made them and who owns them. The above quilt was made for Evelyn by her Nana, my step- Mom. The multi-colored fabric is vintage from the stash of my great-uncle's mother. Well into her nineties, she doesn't know how long she's had it or where it came from, but I love that it came from her and that my step-Mom used it in the quilt.
This quilt will keep Evelyn comfortable for years to come and even though it is new, it already has a history and a story to tell. I love it for that. And it is just so sweet to look at. Thanks Nana!

Comments

Amanda said…
what a gorgeous quilt and post. and how special that the fabric has such history and that evelyn's nana's hands touched every fiber.
Chelle said…
Such a sweet, sweet post and quilt...and how lovely to imagine the future history of this quilt, how someday your darling Evelyn will grow up and hear all of this herself and then eventually pass the story down to her children.

Popular Posts