Ramblings...

 I got all the Birthday cards for the year finished.  They are simple...red with aqua or red with citrus colors.  Cheery...so if I have your Birthday on my calendar, watch the mail.  There might be a little goody tucked inside too.  I am trying to do my part for the post office this year.  I sent out a large stack of envelopes a couple of weeks ago with family pictures and our new address.  If you received one, sorry there was no letter, I just didn't get that far...maybe next year.  I felt proud just to get what I did accomplished...baby steps, I guess.
 I picked up the knitting again.  Scarf making at this point.  One for a good friend and then one for each of my babies.  Then maybe a hat for Evelyn...she needs a pretty, girly one.  I have some warm, purple wool that she would love.

 I did a wee bit of thrifting last week.  I had a few hours to myself and that is what I wanted to do.  I found a few treasures that I was thrilled about.  I have to say the the thrifting in the mid-west is great...an abundance at fairly reasonable prices.  I found several child's cups and plates for play made by the Ohio Art Company.  Talk about excited!  These are hard to find that are not over priced.  I think I will make a wall display when I get my new kitchen and not tuck them in with the kids already overflowing play kitchen.  I also found a set of tin buckets with lids at a Goodwill.  I love these!  They will be great for corralling sidewalk chalk or whatever.  I love that I can stick the lid on and put them on a shelf...they look nice, better then plastic.  I am a sucker for cool metal storage containers.
I also took some time this week to look for good deals on kids clothes.  I do this every year in August and in mid-January.  I hate to pay full price for anything, especially clothes.  So I scour a few stores for good deals on end of season clothes for the coming year.  Target and K-Mart always warrant a stop as well as Goodwill.  Thanks to this strategy I have all the kids outfitted for the coming Summer and coming Fall and Winter.  Most of their school clothes are also bought, washed, and tucked away in tubs, bigger winter coats are ready for next year, and shorts and t-shirts are all ready for warmer weather.  I love being able to pull out clothes as needed instead of having to run out and buy things as the seasons change.  I don't mind used clothes one bit, as I am picky about what I buy, but I always seem to find some amazing things.  For example I found Elijah 4 pairs of basically new shorts for .99 cents each.  And then thanks to sales last August, he is ready to go for Summer.  The only things I will never buy used or try to buy in advance are shoes, underwear, and socks.  These things tend to be needed at weird times of the year and I just can't deal with used for what I hope are obvious reasons. :)  Oh, and yard sales can have some good items as well...you just never know.
 This is the stack on my bedside table.  I finish one book and add two more.  See that Kindle up on top?  I got it for Christmas and I have yet to break it in yet.  I keep finding good young adult books at the library when I take the kids for story time each week.  I enjoy young adult books because they are short, quick reads, usually very good, and I like screening for my kids when they get older and start reading these kinds of books on their own.  I will have a large list of books in a wide range of genres all ready for when that day comes.
Look what we got yesterday?  After such a warm, dry winter, we got 9 inches throughout the day of very wet, heavy snow.  Now winter feels as it should.  I warmed up the house by baking cookies yesterday and then a cake this morning.  I have been on the hunt for recipes for healthier snacks for the kiddies.  I am trying to stock the freezer with things for them to grab for snacks after I have the baby.  I have made chocolate chip cookies with apple sauce, snack cake with buttermilk and steel cut oats, and granola bars.  I am hoping to find more gems out there.  Any recommendations?
Oh, and I had a birthday last week.  34...hmmmm, I feel pretty good about it.  It was a nice day, my babies spoiled me with jewelry and chocolate.  This week is David's and my anniversary and then Elijah's birthday.  February is a short yet big month in our family.  I've always been partial.  :) 
I hope things are as they should be in your neck of the woods.

Comments

Emily said…
Thank you so very much for the sweet little drawings and notes from the kids :) it was so fun to have Hannah open the magical envelope to find sweet notes from her cousins inside. the pictures are wonderful too!

hugs to all of you!
Jenny said…
The birthday cards look like they were fun to make! You have always been so craft! :-) Enjoy the snow & the kiddos. They grow up so fast!

We have not had much snow this year, but did bring some snow in to play with in the tub one day. If we get another snow, I want to fill a couple spray bottles up with water & food coloring and decorate the yard. ;-)

Popular Posts