Lentils...

A couple of weeks ago I made the family a gooey lasagna.  I am off of dairy in general because it seems to give Rubia issues.  It is amazing how much I want something when I can't have it, that of course means cheese and ice cream.  I do sneak it in occasionally, like when David buys me a blizzard, but, i try to be good on a regular basis.  Anyway, while they had a lasagna, I made myself a big pot of lentil soup.  I love lentils, having grown up eating them often, they are a comfort food.  I feel like it is my magic dish that resets my palate and realigns things for me, if food can do that.  I love to eat, so I suppose that works.  Here is my favorite recipe for lentil soup:

Egyptian Lentil Soup
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup dried lentils
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 cups chicken broth
1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  When foam subsides, add celery, carrot, onion, lentils, garlic, and bay leaf. Saute, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender, but still crisp; about 10 minutes.
Add enough water to cover veggies. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, simmer uncovered, 30 minutes. Add stock, tomato; simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.  Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in salt and pepper. Puree soup. I don't

It has an earthy, chunky warmness that I find to be so satisfying...it's happiness in a bowl for me. And it epitimizes Autumn to me as well.  the cooler days make me want to eat it all the time. 

Comments

Popular Posts